||Gaming || Serena Review

1/20/21



On a whim, I decided to pick up the Free to Play (F2P) game called Serena on Steam. I wanted to do something more casual and easy-going as all the games I play and currently am playing are heavily story-driven.

I needed a small break.

Here's my review of Serena.

Serena was a group project that included several indie companies such as Scenescape, CBE Software, Infamous Quests, Digital Media Workshop, Guys from Andromeda, and more. Serena is a simple, point and click game with a focus more so on the story.

The game starts off simple enough, you're in an old drafty looking cabin in an undisclosed location, you play an unnamed man that seems to be having trouble remembering his lover which is noted by the blurred-out photo on the table

I mentioned that Serena is a point & click game nearly everything in the cabin has a story behind it, a story of a relationship whether that be good or bad memories.

As you continue to point and click, listen and or read your way through the cabin there's a change in the story-telling, how memories are being portrayed, and honestly, there was a point in the game that had captured my curiosity and had my anxiety rising as I continued through the game.

The plot twist, OH THE PLOT TWIST!


Rating Guide:
☆: Could be better
☆☆: Ok
☆☆☆: Decent
☆☆☆☆: Great!
Story:☆☆☆
A story of remembrance of a relationship through sentimental things that were left behind? Through memories, a riveting story and plot twist through memories. I will mention this, click on everything, more than once. You will not progress the story unless you've checked everything you can in the cabin.

Gameplay:☆☆☆
Point & Click. Simple & easy to understand. There were somethings that looked as if it should have been clickable but it wasn't. It is also fairly easy to miss things in the cabin as there were not a lot of vibrant colors in the color palette. 

Art/Graphics:☆☆
The art/graphics aren't particularly bad, the art of the game did its job of giving the players/listeners the appearance of an old, nearly abandoned-looking cabin. You could tell that things had been sitting there by the spiderwebs, the dust, the creaky floors and more.

It's a free game, how could I not recommend at least checking it out if you're looking for something different or play at your own pace. It is a quick game, I believe it took me an hour to play it and it's perfect for a quick and intriguing story.

© The Caffeinated Girl. Design by FCD.